Easter Doodads


After making this pot pie for dinner tonight,
Pre-baking

Straight out of the oven

I had a fair amount of leftover pie crust scraps. Not wanting to waste such delicious euro butter pie dough, I hunted around on the interwebs for some suggestions about what to do with them and decided to make some sweet Doodads (alternatively called dabby-doughs, cinnamon snails, bumble bees, pinwheels, etc.). Details after the jump:

Doodads
Pie crust scraps
Filling:
strawberry jam -or- butter, cinnamon, and sugar

Shape pie crust scraps into ball and roll out the dough.

I wanted to experiment with different fillings, so I divided the dough in half. I spread strawberry jam on one half and about 1 tbl. of butter on the other half, then sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top of the butter.
After spreading your choice of filling (other alternatives include cocoa power, nutella, etc.), roll the dough up lengthwise (like you're making cinnamon rolls) and slice into 1" pieces.

Place doodads on a foil-lined cookie sheet or other baking-tray (I used a tart pan). I wasn't sure how best to bake these, so I experimented and placed the cinnamon-sugar ones spiral-side up and the jam-filled ones on their sides. Initially, I clustered the cinnamon-sugar ones together like cinnamon buns, but they didn't bake very evenly that way, so I wound up separating them. I think the best method turned out to be baking them on their side like the jam-filled ones. [LCBF claims spiral-side up baking had better results--Ed.]  
Pre-baking

I stuck these in the oven with the pot pie @ 180C/ 350F. They took about 15 min. to bake, but 350 is a relatively low temp. At 375 or 400, they'd probably only take around 10 min.
Yum!

These were tiny, delicious, and addicting. I think I liked the jam-filled ones better, but LCBF preferred the cinnamon sugar. The cinnamon-sugar ones reminded me of something, but it took a minute to figure out that they tasted just like Schneeballen! Of course they did! LCBF claims they were better than schneeballen because they were moister, but I imagine this is exactly what a fresh schneeball tastes like. Fully awesome. I can't believe I've just been hoarding my extra pie crust scraps in the freezer this whole time. No more!
 

Comments