Heidelberger Studentenkuss (+ bonus cruncher)

Heidelberg Student's Kiss
I brought a couple of these delicious treats home from Heidelberg and just had the last of them. They're a local confection made of a puffed-rice type wafter topped with praline-chocolate nougat filling and enveloped in a dark chocolate coating. And yes, they are as awesome as they sound.

Charming origin story after the jump.

As the story goes, the candy was invented in 1863 when male and female students in the university town were kept at arm's length by watchful chaperones. Seeing that the students were unable to approach each other, a romantic chocolatier created a sweet that the students could exchange as a discreet gesture of affection. He called it the student's kiss.
Read the full history on the shop's website. Lovely Carnivorous Boyfriend and I visited the original shop @ Haspelgasse 16.

Delicious!

And an Honorable Heidelberg Treat Mention goes to . . .

Chocolate Crunchers
The ones I had were not fashioned into bunnies, but they were delicious and oddly fascinating. Crunchers essentially taste like frosted flakes coated in either milk or dark chocolate and shaped into a big patty-of-yum. I made LCBF buy me two of them, which I later crunched (very) loudly in bed. It was awesome. I want to figure out how to make them. I have a pretty good idea, so I'll post my efforts when I have some time to experiment with my trusty makeshift double boiler.

Comments