Blustery Berlin Lentil Soup

After weeks of gorgeous weather, fall has decided to finally come to Berlin. And what better to make on a cold, rainy, blustery day than lentil soup? Nothing, that's what. Recipe after the jump:


Blustery Berlin Lentil Soup
Serves 4
1 med. carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 med. onion, chopped
1 med. potato, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 c. lentils (I used organic green lentils, but any kind will work)
~6 c. vegetable stock
~1 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper
2-3 tbl. olive oil

Sort and rinse lentils. Chop vegetables to desired size--I like them a bit on the coarse side.
Heat a few tbl. olive oil in a large stock pot (full disclosure--our furnished apt. did not come with measuring spoons, so these are all my eyeball measurements. My eyeballs though, I will say, are pretty accurate). Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to pot and cook until onion becomes translucent and the carrots soften a bit--about 8 minutes. Add potato, lentils, and ~6 c. vegetable stock. I used the stock I made today, but store-bought is fine. Add bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 30-45 min. until lentils are soft and vegetables are fully cooked. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Comments

Post a Comment