Omnivore Challenge: Spinach, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Lasagna

Spinach, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Lasagna

Today I found a blue post-it note with the following written on it: 
"375 F  
30 min covered 
20 min uncovered



lasagna"

I can only assume that this was my note to myself about my recently invented lasagna recipe to help me remember the details when I blogged about it. The problem is that I've been a little behind on the bloggings and fear I've lost the rest of the details in my mind swamp. So here is what may or may not be the recipe for the awesomely delicious Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna I made last Friday (a whole week ago! How could I possibly remember anything that happened so far in the past?). But honestly, it's lasagna; it's pretty difficult to mess up: noodles, filling, sauce, cheese, bake. I think this recipe is pretty close (and should work in any event).

LCBF and I devoured this. The plan had been to make this on Friday and then eat the leftovers on Saturday. Except we (and by "we" I mean "mostly me") wound up eating too much and only had enough left over for lunch the next day. Ah, well. It was super tasty! LCBF's verdict: "I really did like that lasagna! Surprisingly rich for a no-meat lasagna."

Recipe after the jump . . .
Spinach, Mushroom, Goat Cheese Lasagna

6 no-cook lasagna noodles (or fresh--I wanted to go this route, but didn't have time)
5 oz. fresh baby organic spinach, rinsed
8 oz. brown crimini mushrooms, sliced
large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 c. vegetable broth
salt & pepper
3 tbl. butter
2 tbl. flour
1 c. soy milk
5 oz. goat cheese (I used Lively Run), sliced or crumbled
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 c. parmesan cheese, shredded


Preheat oven to 375 F and grease an 8 x 8 pan.

Step 1: Make Filling

Heat about 1 tbl butter in a large frying pan over med-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for about 5 min. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until the mushrooms start to brown. Add damp rinsed spinach and allow to wilt a bit. Add about a cup of vegetable broth and simmer until all the liquid has absorbed. Salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.

Step 2: Make Béchamel Sauce

While the filling is cooking, make a béchamel sauce. Melt 2 tbl. butter in a sauce pan. Wisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring to keep from burning, until the mixture begins to brown. Slowly add 1 c. soy milk a little at a time, wisking to incorporate. Keep the sauce thick and smooth. If the sauce is ready before the filling, move off heat and press plastic wrap directly over the surface. Rewarm if necessary when ready to assemble lasagna.

Step 3: Assemble Lasagna

Pour a little bit of the béchamel sauce in the bottom of the pan. Add 2 noodles. They can overlap slightly. Place about 1/2 the filling on top of the noodles, spread about 1/3 of the cheeses on top of the filling, place some béchamel sauce on top of the cheese. Add 2 more noodles. Place other 1/2 of the filling on top of these noodles, spread about 1/3 of the cheeses on top of the filling, place some béchamel sauce on top of the cheese. Add final 2 noodles. Spoon the remainder of the béchamel sauce on top of the noodles and spread the rest of the cheese on the very top.

Step 4: Bake

I baked this lasagna at 375 F for a total of 50 minutes, keeping it covered with foil for the first 30 min. then uncovered for 20 min. so the top could brown. This produced a lasagna with extremely crispy, caramelized edges, which I like. If you're less of an "edge piece" person, I'd cut the time to 35-40 min.-- half covered, half uncovered.

Comments