Week Three, Day Five: Feb. 1st

Pastafest: Day One
Fettuccine and Garlic Oil Sauce
Something magical happened today.  Despite the snowstorm, my Imperia pasta machine arrived this morning!  I used to think I had no strong feelings about pasta.  I found it a generally inoffensive carb-y vehicle for delivering broccoli and such to my mouth.  After making my own for the first time today however, I have developed very strong opinions on the subject. I now know that fresh, homemade pasta is awesome and should be consumed by everyone (but mostly me) all of the time.  Not a practical desire, I know, as tonight's dinner seriously violated my 1 hr. active cook time rule.  Nevertheless, I am now a changed woman who will always look just a little bit askance at her dried pasta jar.

Details and pasta-making pics after the jump

I wanted to try something very basic for my first attempt, so I went with Mark Bittman's pasta recipe in HTCEV.  It's a flour, salt, egg, and water mixture mostly "kneaded" in the food processor (hey, I make my pie crusts in the food processor too, no reason to turn purist and start building flour mounds on the counter now) and shaped into a ball to rest for 30 min. or so.
The most complicated part might have been clamping the machine to the counter (which, as it turns out, is really important).  I had to open a drawer and clamp it inside.

Rolling out pasta is fairly intuitive.  If you played with play-dough as a kid, you've mastered the physics of it already.  Working with part of the dough as a time, you use the settings on the machine to roll it into an increasingly longer and thinner sheet, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. 

Then you feed said sheet through a cutter attachment. My machine came with both a spaghetti and fettuccine cutter, I decided to go with the latter.

Magic!

At this point, I was starting to feel pretty awesome and accomplished, I'm not gonna lie.  Like some kind of talented uberchef creating something lovely and special out of flour and eggs.  I like it when things look much harder than they actually are. After hanging the pasta to dry, I cleaned up a bit and started boiling water and prepping the sauce.
There are three conventional rules that govern pasta cooking: 1) you must use a huge vat of water, 2) that vat must come to a rolling boil before you add the pasta, 3) the water should taste like the ocean (add a fistful of salt). I usually ignore the first two of these rules (but never the last) and cook pasta in a saucepan, adding it at a weak boil, because do you know how long it takes to boil a vat of water? Way, way too long.  I remembered this inconvenient fact tonight as I glared at my vat of sad, small bubbles that refused to roll.  Oh, why had I decided to play by the rules all of a sudden with my fancy homemade pasta? At any rate, boil it did (eventually), and the pasta was perfectly done at 3 and a half minutes.  I wanted a light sauce that would highlight the noodles, so I tossed the fettuccine with a hot garlic oil sauce (just olive oil and chopped garlic simmered in a pan until golden), and topped with parmesan cheese.  I served the dish with a spinach/apple/walnut side salad topped with a balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and dijon mustard wisked together).
It was . . . a revelation.  Tomorrow I'm experimenting with filled pasta . . . Butternut Squash ravioli! 

Comments