Omnivore Challenge: Sunday Breakfast

Cinnamon Buns
Lovely Carnivorous Boyfriend and I are usually waffle people (we just had some this morning, actually), but last weekend LCBF requested cinnamon buns. I don't make these very often because they're time intensive. I use Bittman's recipe in HTCEV, which is really just a recipe for bread loaves. Since these do use a bread recipe as a base, there is yeast and rising time. Lots of rising time. And that's how I came to find myself kneading bread dough at 2 am last Saturday night in order to let it rest in the fridge overnight. (Not that the kitchen is an unusual place for me to be at odd hours).

The next day, however, was when the magic happened . . .
There is, of course, a quicker way to make these by using some kind of frozen pre-made dough, but those are processed foods with preservatives and such that I'm trying to avoid these days.

Once I had my two loaves, I rolled them out into rectangles and poured a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top (about 2 tbl. cinnamon to 2/3 c. sugar). Then I poured a (very) little bit of water on the cinnamon/sugar mixture and used a fork to make a paste and spread it evenly on the dough.
Then I rolled up the loaves longwise and used unflavored dental floss to cut each log into about 8 slices (run a length of floss underneath the log, bring it around, cross and pull--it's easier than using a knife and doesn't smoosh the dough). I then put each bun in a greased 9 x 12 pan; 3 across (they expand during baking).
After letting the buns rest for another 30 min. or so, I baked them at 350F for about 20 min. After cooling slightly, I glazed them with a mixture of confectioners sugar and soy milk.
These were yummy, but they definitely do not keep well. While I still enjoyed day-old cinnamon buns on Monday, LCBF pronounced them stale. So they're an eat or freeze type of venture. Still, a nice change of breakfast pace.

Comments